Monday, April 16, 2007

A Rose By Any Other Name...

We have all heard it before. Basically meaning that no matter what you call the flower it still remains the same—a rose. In Biblical times they placed a higher emphasis on names and the meanings behind them. A person’s name, in essence, defined their character. Their name did not serve as a title or as a means of communication with them, but rather their name was them, it was their definition.

We have seen several name changes in the bible. Abram to Abraham. Saul to Paul. Jacob to Israel. Simon to Peter. Each of the name changes are significant to their characters and sometimes tied to a change in their nature or their future. They are descriptors of those that bear the name.

The biggest name in the book of Philemon is Onesimus. By big I do not mean simply in size or number of characters, I mean to reference what the name means. In the Greek his names means “useful or profitable.” Looking at the story of Onesimus it is parallel with the story of any person living in the life of sin who experiences a change in their nature and now serves God. Onesimus was a servant in the house of Philemon and stole from his master. From there he went on the run to try and escape from his sin against Philemon. He therefore became useless to Philemon both in service (not being there in the house to perform his duties) and in terms of his integrity (being a thief). Onesimus met Paul along the way during the time he was running from the house of Philemon. Paul shared the Gospel and led Onesimus to repentance. After his conversion, Paul decided to send Onesimus back to Philemon to serve in his household once again. Because of his repentance and his soon return to his master’s House Onesimus became “useful” to his master once again.

Aren’t we like Onesimus? Stealing the gifts that God has blessed us with and trying to run from Him to escape? We eventually run so hard and so fast that we end up running into God himself. Instead of punishing us, He forgives us and invites us home again. He rescues us from our useless, sinful life. He changes our lives and existence into something useful again.

I find it ironic that my name means “one who is like the Lord.” It’s ironic to me because for so long that was nowhere near a good descriptor for me; it did not define my character at all. That is not to say that it is a perfect match for me now, after all I still work on changing my sinful nature into a nature that is worthy of the meaning of my name. I work towards being more like Him everyday. It is a process. A Journey.

Father I thank You for welcoming me home when I tried to run from You. I pray that my life will continue to honor You and I pray that my life looks more like the life You have called me to with each passing day. Amen.

No comments: