Sunday, April 29, 2007

My Credentials

There have been many times in the course of my career where I had to use my name and my reputation to help another person. When I put someone who was considered to be an underdog of sorts up for a promotion and my boss disagreed with me I had to put my stamp of approval with my name attached guaranteeing their success. I have also had to call in favors sometimes. There were times when one of my associates needed a transfer to another location and that other facility was not receiving any new associates into their building. I would have to talk to the manager and use my reputation and the rapport we shared to get that associate transferred. It is amazing what a person can do based on the name or reputation of someone else. Paul uses his name and relationship with Philemon to help Onesimus out.

Philemon truly did not have to receive Onesimus back into his house, regardless of what Paul asked. Paul knew this. When communicating to Philemon, Paul uses his relationship with Philemon to appeal to his heart, “So if you consider me your partner, receive him as you would receive me.” Paul called in a favor. He sent Philemon home with his stamp of approval with his name attached to it. That is awesome considering who Paul was in the Christian community. But there is more to consider.

Jesus has done this for you and me. When we accepted Him into our lives, He put his stamp of approval on us. He gave us the power to use His name to get things accomplished in His will. When we consider the impact and power His name carries, it is truly amazing how much He loves us. I think of all the doors He has opened for me to preach and to share His message that He has placed in my heart it is truly awesome. I shouldn’t have been able to go to the places, I have been. I shouldn’t have been able to speak to the people I have had to the opportunity to minister to. The only reason I have been able to do those things is because of His name. His name and the calling He has placed on my life have become my credentials. How awesome, how blessed, how changed the world would be if we all displayed our credentials to get us to the places we need to be to do His will for our lives!

Father I thank you for the calling and the gifts you have place in me. I thank you for the opportunity to worship you with my life. Amen.

No comments: