Friday, March 30, 2007

What I Crave

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.” (Matthew 5:6)Air, water and food are the three subjects of the “law of 3’s” for survival—3minutes without air, 3 days without water and 3weeks without food (at least that is what I remember from CSI =) but it fits into this). Here in the Beatitude Jesus references two of our basic reactions to the lack of those essentials, hunger and thirst. When I am hungry or thirsty, neither of those two sensations are ones that I can ignore. When I have allowed myself to become hungry or thirsty, not only do I want to eat something or quench my thirst, but there is usually a craving that is associated with the desire to eat or drink to let me know that it is there. That is a key portion of this teaching—craving, longing and desire.In this teaching He is referring to righteousness. Righteousness has taken on different meanings in the Bible. I would say the most common interpretation of righteousness is the sinner’s right standing before God. I do not think that is the definition of the word righteousness He is using here. The Beatitudes are a series of one line teachings that define the character and identity of a true disciple. The word righteousness here seems to connote willingness, or desire even, to conform wholly and spiritually to the will of God for our lives. In applying 2 of our basest needs to righteousness, Jesus seems to be implying it as a need to be sought after for growth rather than as a part of our salvation. (Though I will concede that if you read the verse over in the context of righteousness referring to our right standing before God, it could be understood in that light and this argument would still remain true.)Jesus is saying in this teaching that if we will seek out righteousness we will find it. If we will crave or desire His righteousness much like we would food or drink if we were hungry or thirsty we will find it. The best part of this verse is the second part of it. Jesus doesn’t say that we will find only enough righteousness to carry us over until we find ourselves deficient again; He says we will be satisfied. We will have our fill. We will have access enough to not only tame the craving but also enough to satisfy it.Lord I thank you for not only providing for my physical needs but also for my spiritual need. I pray that my hunger and thirst for Your righteousness will never subside that I might continually seek after You. Amen.

No comments: